The Inspector calls astatine The Grand Hotel successful Birmingham, which helium says is grander than ever acknowledgment to a £45million renovation
- The Inspector stays successful a 'spacious' country with Banksy artwork connected the walls successful the Grade II listed building
- He recommends trying the short rib burger with Monterey Jack astatine Isaac’s, the hotel's New York-style eatery
- 'It’s improbable that Birmingham volition spot the similar of a edifice task connected this standard again,' helium observes
- Remember, the Inspector pays his way... and tells it similar it is...
By The Inspector
Published: 07:54 GMT, 2 March 2022 | Updated: 07:56 GMT, 2 March 2022
The Grand Hotel Birmingham is backmost — and not conscionable a instrumentality to its erstwhile glories (both George VI and Malcolm X stayed here), but surpassing them pursuing an ambitious £45 cardinal renovation programme.
It’s been a torturous process. Wealthy pork butcher Isaac Horton built the edifice successful 1875 successful the past up-and-coming Colmore Row crossed from the cathedral, but it closed 20 years ago, astatine which constituent the assembly thought it should beryllium knocked down.
The Horton Estate, which inactive owns the site, had different ideas and managed to get the gathering Grade II* listed and workmen moved in.
- Staycation review: The Inspector calls at The Grand Hotel in Birmingham after its £45m renovation